|Measuring the placement of the house on the board|
Almost a month ago, I began work on the pavement. The first thing I had to do was to purchase a board which would be big enough as a base for the house along with the front sections which open. I ended up purchasing some plywood that measured appx 60cm x 90cm. My idea was to leave a little room to the right of the kitchen so I could build an external area where outside work in food prep and storage would be. The back of the house needed a small space as well as my plan there is to make a small garbage container where I will hide the batteries that will power the LEDs in the house. I then purchased a table at Ikea which could hold the whole thing. I will screw the pavement base to the Ikea table in the eventual case that I decide to move the house or change the actual set up. I 'll just use wood screws on the sides so I do not foresee any issues there.
|Using stepping stone template to trace out on the board.|
|Still working out the placement of stones.|
The next part was to decide what kind of pavement I was going to do. I had thought about stenciling and painting stones but really didn’t like the lack of three dimensionality. I then thought about papering and doctoring up the paper with some dimensional decor but I realized that wouldn’t work because I had two sliding areas in front. The pavement had to be rather smooth and without much hinderance so the front room door would open without difficulty. So, I decided on a method which I had found on the blog MitchyMoo.
|Flagstone pattern I used. I made an mirror image of it and used both for as stencils.|
|Round headed tip for carving in between the stones.|
In any case, as of today, the carving is done and I can now proceed with the painting, varnishing and grass decoration. Hopefully, that will not take a month although I have a bit to do at work and my health issues have been acting up the last few days. Still, I’m pleased I’ve come this far.