I had a few days off since I was busy constructing some Halloween decorations for a small party I have every year. Since it’s really not celebrated in Italy (or celebrating incorrectly - as an excuse for young teens to vandalize and be destructive) I actually enjoy teaching my friend’s kids how to have fun on Halloween without hurting anyone or anything. So I put some effort into making fun food and decorations. But I really want to get back to the build of the house otherwise I feel it will just take forever to complete!
Having had a few days off gave me a little more energy and the correct mind set to attack the next few chapters. First up was some more tiling and the prep work for the peak decorations. I repeated the same procedure from the last chapter cleaning and recarving the bubble pieces and painting everything. I then put those pieces aside as I had to tackle the tiling of the right front and back roof areas in front of the peaks.
|Bubble piece decorations and gable decor painted.|
I managed to finish tiling the front roof area under the gable and insert the gable as well. I also got the top onigawara in place. So that was good. So the kit has me moving round to the back peak area and roof but....as usual...I deviated from the procedure. First because I had a ton of little pieces that could be used in filling the gaps in the center front roof so it just seemed logical to get it out of the way. So I decided I would. But first....
|Finished right front roof and peak decor.|
|Working on the kimono stand from scraps.|
|Shaping the copper decoration for the top and bottom edges.|
|Finished kimono stand and the inspiration.|
|Front of the roof with completed tiling.|
|Remaining tiling to be done to the back of the roof.|
|Making patterns to cut paper and fabric.|
|Cutting out some fabric for backing the paper.|
|Adding the sleeves to the back panel|
|Finished paper kimono.|
|Finished kimono stand with "folded" kimonos and obi draped over it.|
|Kimono stand in situ.|
These little rackets were used in a badminton type game back in the 15th-16th century. They are usually decorated with New Year’s images at court. Today, the rackets are used during New Year’s and are now covered with kimono fabrics and the figures are rendered 3D. The antique ones often had images of famous actors so I printed out some images and attached them to some pieces of thin wood. I decorated the handles with red and black and added all three to the buddha room. They do look cute.
|Cutting out the racket and image to glue onto it.|
|Wrapping a little black thread round the handle.|
|Hagoita decorating the wall.|
|Finished and final gable. Now just to push on with tiling...|