No tiles in this chapter. So short reprieve...yet this chapter was challenging and perhaps overly explanatory...sorry. The purpose of the blog was actually to help anyone mounting this kit and trust me, these chapters needed some tweeking.
There were lots of pieces here for decorating the peaks of the front and back left side of the roof. First was to sand out any impurities and then paint them. Before I did that, there was a decorative piece which will fit in the very top of the peak. It had some weird holes and markings on them. Checking the instructions, the carved lines were supposed to be curved - like elaborate little bubbles or something. Anyway, I really hated the way the bubbles were made so I recarved them using a dremel bit and flipping the pieces over and redrawing some of the lines. I also deepened the external curves. One was cut quite well whereas the other didn’t really have matching holes. So I’ll use that one for the back peak. I then painted the pieces and glued together the first sections for the decorations for the inside of the peaks.
|You can see the lousy carving on the right. Mine isn't much better but at least it's rounded.|
I started on the peak’s decoration and right off the first piece’s installment instruction was not very clear. It says “fit piece #3 to the front of the peak”. This piece is heavy black cardboard with a precreased fold in the middle. I couldn’t figure out if, in the Italian, they meant fit it to the front peak or fit it to the front of the front peak. I tried dry fitting pieces a few steps ahead and it didn’t really clarify much. And the illustrations were not zoomed in enough to understand. But since the piece #3 will eventually support some tiles, I figured it’d be best to glue it to the very top edge of the front peak. Which I did.
|Horizontal beam fitted and test fitting the paper piece #3.|
|Gluing the beam decoration on the table - easier for installation afterwards.|
Once I had cut the decorative beams, I glued them together and fit the bubble piece. The kit had me installing each piece and fitting the peak perfectly in place on the house which would be pretty impossible given the nature of piece #3 which is heavy card stock. I figured I could best fit the piece whole beforehand on my table. Which I did....but...
I still had to take it all apart. When it came time to attach the tiles across the top, it was pretty clear that the famous paper piece #3 needed to be attached closer to the tiles already installed across the tops of the roof. Luckily, the the decorative beams were attached to the paper piece so I just cut it away from the roof with the beams still attached, trimmed it to fit closer to the installed tiles and reglued it into place. Now the beams and the bubble piece were closer to the peak’s surface (no longer 3D) but still looked fine. I then attached the two tiles across the top. All of this because I looked ahead (many many pages ahead) and found that the space between these tiles and the roof tiles running along the sides would be filled with some kind of black filler beam (in wood maybe...) so the open space would be diminished by repositioning as I did and then filling later...hopefully.
|Fitting the peak decoration and discovering it was too far forward of the roof tiles so...|
|....I rmoved the whole piece, trimmed piece #3, and...|
|...reinstalled it. Then I added the two side tiles.|
|Adding the onigawara.|
|Adding a tile to the row that butts up against the back roof peak tile.|
|Back roof peak installed except for the onigawara. Later....|