Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Chapter 83 - The Back Wall and Sliding Windows to the Left Second Floor Porch

July 17 - 22nd 2014

I haven’t been building the kit following the instructions per each chapter as sometimes things can get repetitive and I end up creating other objects (like the sake barrels or the outside areas) to keep things interesting.  But since I am still out of work, I feel like I really need to finish the build by the end of this year.  I feel like I need to accomplish something to keep my brain challenged and maintain my sanity.  I always have lots of projects but rarely ever complete them.  The last time I was not working (14 months I stayed out of work to get myself healthy) I completed so many things.  And that was before I even started on this house!  I was so proud of myself.  I want to complete this project if only to be able to say it will be my “capo lavoro”.  I have put a lot of my heart and soul into this.  Someone said once that miniature creation is a small version of what you cannot have in real life.  I think this is true for me.  I actually imagine myself as the ryokan owner planning and running the everyday function of the inn.  There was a time when I dreamt of owning a shop or a tea room.  Things that will never come true given my situation and what is available to me.  So, this house is truly my dream house.  Just like Barbie! 
I wonder sometimes what will happen to it when I am gone. 
I had started writing this last week with my reflections on what remains when we are gone and then the air tragedy over the Ukraine occurred.  I hope that the families will find something that can so poetically embody their loved ones like this dollhouse will me.  I could disappear before I finish it, but still you will see me in it.  In a way, our artistic creations make us immortal. And each of has (or had) the capacity of creating art around us.  Some in being simply mothers or fathers, sisters or brothers.  Others in their scientific research.  Our actions now, and how they touch others, are what will make us immortal.  Their effects will be passed down from generation to generation.  Just like this house.  Hopefully.

Anyway, back to the build.
This chapter covered the back wall and windows to the remaining porch. I didn’t document every step as it has already been done previously.  Needless to say, it went together quickly and without fitting problems like I had with this same section on the last porch.  The only thing was to pay attention to the painted panels (Buttermilk on the outside, white on the inside) and making sure that the notched pieces for the shōji were on the right side this time (to avoid having to install the shōji thru the front porch windows like last time).  Otherwise, it came together smoothly.  Course I was busy this weekend so I didn’t do anything for two days.  But I made up for it on the Monday and am posting this on a Tuesday morning. 


Painting and preparing.
Finished back section to the porch.
And the build continues....

No comments:

Post a Comment